Become a Migration Agent

The Profession

Working as a Registered Migration Agent (RMA) can mean assisting clients in making one of the most important decisions of their lives: helping them migrate to Australia.

The Migration Act 1958 and its associated Regulations govern Agents’ registration requirements and Code of Conduct, while the profession itself is regulated by the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (OMARA).

Information on becoming a RMA

Under the Migration Act 1958, anyone who uses, or purports to use, knowledge of, or experience in migration procedures to provide advice or assistance must be a registered as a migration agent, unless exempt under the Act.

To find out more about the process of becoming an agent, the registration requirements and the knowledge requirements we recommend you visit Office of the MARA Website

Studying migration law and practice to become an RMA

Please note that the MIA does not run the Australian Migration Law & Practice Graduate Diploma Course.

The following universities offer the graduate diploma:

  • Australian Catholic University
  • Griffith University
  • University of Technology Sydney
  • Victoria University
  • Western Sydney University

Universities may have slightly different names for the graduate diploma course.

Check directly with the universities for details such as the cost of the course and enrolment procedures.

Support for students

The MIA offers a range of support for those aspiring to enter the migration profession.

Once enrolled in a relevant university course you can apply for the MIA free student subscription service

To view MIA events offered to assist students studying migration go to our Events Listing