The Migration Institute of Australia has been delivering the Immigration Essentials® for Lawyers (IEL) course since its inception in 2009.
The IEL is a comprehensive course designed for legal practitioners who want to provide high-quality immigration assistance. This program will give a complete overview of migration law, the most common visa classes/subclasses, and government policy and procedure.
The program will assist participants in navigating the maze of regulations, as well as understanding the visa application process, exceptional circumstances, skills assessment requirements and state sponsorship. Participants should gain greater confidence in dealing with migration cases and clients throughout the program.
Delivered by a leading team of Accredited Immigration Specialists and experienced practitioners, this course is the most comprehensive overview of immigration law and policy for lawyers in Australia.
- Introduction to Migration Procedure and Visa Applications
- Family Visas including Partner & Parent Visas
- General Skilled Migration Visas
- Permanent Employer Sponsored Visas
- Temporary Employer Sponsored Visas
- Business Innovation & Investment Program Visas
- Bridging Visas
- Character Provisions & PIC 4020
- Health Criteria
- Merits Review
- Visa Cancellations
- Unlawful Non-Citizens
- Ministerial Intervention
- Judicial Review
- Student Visas
- Dr. Rodger Fernandez FMIA, Accredited Specialist in Immigration Law | Senior Lawyer | FCG Legal
- Lachlan Riches B.Ec, LL.M
- Lena Hung MMIA, Accredited Specialist in Immigration Law | Principal Lawyer | Lena Hung and Associates
- Alex Kaufman MMIA
- Kerry Murphy MMIA, Accredited Specialist in Immigration Law | Solicitor | D'Ambra Murphy Lawyers
- Chris Johnston MMIA | Founder and Principal Solicitor - Immigration Lawyer | Work Visa Lawyers
- Sherene Ozyurek AFMIA, Accredited Specialist in Immigration Law | Senior Lawyer | FCG Legal
- David Prince AFMIA, Accredited Specialist in Immigration Law | Principal Solicitor | Kinslor Prince Lawyers
This course is delivered online over 8 weeks commencing 5 February 2024 and ending 25 March 2024. Sessions will run on the below schedule:
- 1 session every Monday, Wednesday starting 5 February 2024.
- Each session will run for 2 hours from 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm Sydney time.
- Recordings will be available until 7 April 2024.
- It is strongly recommended that cameras are turned on during the sessions. Your active presence through video will contribute to a more immersive learning experience.
In order to register, participants must either:
- Hold a current Australian Legal Practising Certificate, or
- Be in the final year of an undergraduate law or Juris Doctor degree, or
- Have had practical work experience within immigration.
The Graduate Diploma in Australian Migration Law and Practice is NOT considered a law degree for the purposes of this course. No prior knowledge of immigration law is required.
Not an MIA member? Why not join now to receive: CPD discounts, access to complimentary member events, plus many more services and benefits. You will require a current Australian Legal Practising Certificate to be eligible to join as an Affiliate Member or Legal Practitioner. Email [email protected] to find out which category will suit you.
Dr Dickson Simeon MMIA
Opara & Singh Lawyers
"I took the course to learn from immigration practitioners with unparalleled experience in migration-related matters. Going through the MIA website for the IEL training programme, I noticed that most course facilitators are accredited migration lawyers from their respective law societies in Australia. This gave me much confidence in attending the IEL course.
The IEL programme was very insightful overall...I will put everything learned through the programme into my migration [law] journey.
I have already suggested the IEL programme to some of my colleagues in Opara & Singh Lawyers in Sydney that work in the migration space to attend the next IEL training session."
BA(Politics and International Relations)/LLB
"I took the course to gain a comprehensive and fundamental understanding of migration law, policy and procedure. I found the material really useful and applicable to everyday practice and the presenters to be engaging and responsive to any queries. I’d definitely recommend the course to anyone starting out in the industry or those looking to top up or refresh their existing skills and knowledge."
2019 Premier's Young Achiever of the Year (Tasmania)
"I dived into the Immigration Essentials for Lawyers Course because I’m deeply passionate about supporting migrants – upskilling myself and improving my ability to assist clients just makes sense.
I’ve found migration law intimidatingly complex, always changing and emotionally challenging. MIA have done a wonderful job of bringing together subject experts to present an engaging and comprehensive learning experience.
I now feel far better prepared to problem solve and think creatively and strategically about visa pathways. In my practice so far, I’ve found it a wonderful resource to broaden my understanding and identify all of the risks we have to manage. Highly recommend!"
Master of Laws, Master of Intellectual Property Law, LLB (Hons), GDLP
"I recently commenced my career as an immigration lawyer. I quickly realised the evolving and complex nature of immigration law due to constant changes in regulations and policy. Although I undertook the IEL course to gain a basic understanding of immigration law, it provided me a valuable practical insight into law, regulations, policy and procedure. Each topic of the course is taught by experts who are highly qualified and experienced in that particular area of immigration law. MIA provides comprehensive subject materials for each topic. I found the materials very useful as there are constant discussions of hypothetical scenarios we encounter in everyday practice. I highly recommend the course to the beginners and to anyone who is looking to refresh their knowledge in immigration law.”
Jenna Du Preez
Director, Principal Solicitor
"...I undertook some self-study and found migration law so overwhelming. I decided to enrol in the IEL, and I cannot recommend it enough. It really gave an excellent overview of the laws, and it provided me with very valuable resources and guidance. I even met a few wonderful people out of the course. I feel more confident in my ability to provide immigration legal assistance and will use all of the information I’ve learnt going forward."
Continuing Professional Development
Registered Migration Agents
20 CPD | Category B
RMAs must attend for the full duration in order to obtain CPD points.
2 CPD in Professional Skills and 28 CPD in Substantive Law
Legal practitioners are eligible to earn points for this CPD. The MIA is an approved QA Provider of CPD for the Legal Profession in Western Australia.
You will need access to a computer or laptop with a reliable internet connection and speakers. For group discussion, you may also require a microphone and/or video. Earphones with a microphone that come standard with many mobile phones may be suitable.
Please join this test meeting to check your internet, speakers and microphone prior to registering.
This online event may be recorded. By registering and logging on to the event, the participant agrees to the following:
- Personally identifiable information of participants may be heard, seen, read, collected, or used by the MIA as the organiser and the other online seminar participants;
- Any communication or information transmitted during the online seminar, such as voice, instant messages, or presentations are available to and may be recorded and further used by the MIA as the organiser.
For further information, please call 02 9249 9000 or email [email protected].
Our terms and conditions can be accessed here.